Wednesday, 12 December 2012

Dead Horse Chestnut

Had to remove a dead horse chestnut and a limb off of a sycamore a couple of weeks ago whilst freelance climbing for a local firm

The trees had been worked on previously by someone claiming to be a "tree surgeon" As you can see the horse chestnut (on the left) was pruned way to hard and unsurprisingly it promptly died.


Someones idea of a reduction
Limb removed from sycamore
The sycamore being the more hardy species fared slightly better, but we still thought it necessary to remove the large lower limb they had inexplicably left going over the road.
Horse chestnut on its way down

 

 



We quite often have jobs like this where we are tidying up someone elses handywork. Its a sad fact that there are alot of "qualified" people in this industry who don't know the first thing about whats best for the trees.

Monday, 10 December 2012

Giant Wellingtonia dismantle

Some photos from the first day removing a large dying Giant Wellingtonia. These were taken whilst I was freelancing for another firm.

The tree had one dying limb with a structurally unsound union braced with a rusty old chain. The other 2 limbs had a heavy lean towards the house and the whole trunk leaned slightly that way as well.

Its always a shame when a tree as spectacular as this has to be removed, but at the same time its not very often you get the opportunity to work on something this big so it is good fun!


 
Before pics^
 

 
We first removed all the branches from the 3 separate limbs
 

 
 
 


This kept most of the mess localised and the branches close to the chipper to make our lives a bit easier
 


Fortunately we were blessed with enough space to then fell the stem into an adjacent field, with a little added pulling power from a tractor
 
Just to give you a sense of scale!
 

 
I had a tractor trailer load of the best bits to mill. Unfortunately most of the lower trunk is only good for firewood, being riddled with cracks and rot. The main stem split in two as it hit the deck showing the extent of the weakness of the union between the two stems
 
More pictures to follow
 
 

In the woods

Had a good week last week, managed to dodge most of the rain, well mixed blessings really I had to spend a day fixing the truck, but it happened to be the wettest day of the week!



First up, we made a start on a small woodland thinning job that will be on going, as and when I've got time. Only 13 yrs old but has established really nicely. Basically just trying to free up some space in the canopy to allow some of the trees more light.


Also as its all fairly even aged we are going to open up a few patches for replanting to vary the structure and diversity of the wood, be good to get some understory and maybe some more hazel coppice in there.

Had a couple of other fairly unispiring days, but finished the week on a high with a gorgeous crisp sunny day and a bacon and egg sandwich for breakfast, cooked in the most traditional of woodsman ways - on a spade, perfect.