Friday, 22 March 2013

Alder coppice part 2

Finished off the Reaside farm coppice job this morning, Had a couple of tricky trees that slowed us down a bit yesterday.

This ash (below) was pretty awkward. It was overhanging the weir and there wasn't really anywhere to stand to actually fell it. But after climbing it to put the winch rope two thirds of the way up and giving it a pull we decided we had enough leverage to fell it away from the weir and into the field.



That's why it definitely helps having big kit on jobs like this.



Then we had a nice bit of snow to finish the week off. Something we could have definitely done without as we had managed to stay fairly dry this week. Fortunately we only had to endure a few hours of this!

Monday, 18 March 2013

Alder Coppice

Not had much coppicing this winter, compared to the last few years anyway. But the next 2 weeks I've got a couple of biggish jobs on, with the first taking up most of this week and the second a few days next week.



Funded by the Severn Rivers Trust the work is being carried out on neglected stretches of river that have had little to no work done on them for a long time. The stools are very overstood and its only a matter of time before they start shedding lumps into the river, destabilising the bank and potentially causing further damage/floods downstream.




Made a good start today, still plenty to do though, alot of timber to shift as well.

Thursday, 7 March 2013

Robinia part 2

 
Just had the stem to get down and the logs to take away today
 




 
The stem was quite a lump in the end, good job we had the tractor to hand to shift it. this may end up on the mill yet, as there could be some nice timber in it. I've been told its very durable and rot resistant and also sought after for furniture. Only trouble is it might be a bit big for my mill, which would mean cutting it down with the chainsaw mill first.
 

Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Robinia Dismantle

Had this large ivy covered Robinia (Robinia pseudoacacia) to dismantle today, also known in some parts as a Black Locast.

 
With multiple phone lines on 2 sides, a road on the 3rd and a hedge directly underneath we knew it wasn't going to be an easy day. But it went pretty well, with the biggest problem being all the ivy I had to fight my way through.
 

 




Managed to get it stripped down to a pole today with most of the tidying up done and a couple of loads of wood back to the farm, been told this stuff makes excellent firewood.

 
Got some of the wood stacked up this evening ready for processing, takes up alot less space this way, as when we tip it out of the truck it kind of ends up everywhere!